I remember when Blizzard introduced Realm First Feat of Strength achievements into the game and feeling envious when the world chat lit up with ‘Realm First Level 80 Warlock’ and so on back when Wrath of the Lich King was released. I’ve been tempted to try and get one of these achievements myself when December 7th rolls around, but I don’t think I’ll have the staying power to stay awake playing for 24 hours or more, which seems to be a requirement.
I was talking with a friend of mine in WoW who is going to attempt it though and her preparation includes:
- Buying the game via the digital presale so she can get in at midnight on the 7th of December. She already has the game content downloaded.
- She’s arranged 30 free hours on the night so she can play straight through. I think the time required will dissuade most people from attempting this to be honest.
- She’s bought up all the Bind to Account items that give a bonus to XP; these items say 1-80 on them however so I’m not entirely sure this will work.
- She’s filled her quest log with 25 completed quests, ready to hand in on the day for an instant XP boost.
- She’s recruited like-minded friends who are also going for the realm first so they can all group together and gain XP.
- Some of the people she’s grouped with took part in the beta and they’ll have a headstart on which quests to do in what order and so on.
The only thing I can think of to add to the list is maybe move your character to one of the quest hubs before the game comes out so you can get questing as soon as possible, but I’m sure there are plenty of other tricks to give yourself a boost. For the more casual players (myself included) who don’t fancy putting in so many hours, one option is to try for the Realm First Illustrious Angler fishing achievement. There’s a few tips for trying that here.
Arena weapons and armour available for honour pre-WoW: Cataclysm
Tripping the Rifts Feat of Strength
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Collector’s Edition
World of Warcraft Dungeon Companion, Volume III